  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:08:48 +0100
On Thursday 10 of December 2009, Egbert Eich wrote:
On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 05:00:51PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
Too bad it has never allowed the configuration of the keyboard layout in
KDM.

This is not an openSUSE problem, though.
It's more an issue of the upstream projects not watching each other.

I know that in X.Org fundamental changes often just happen without much
discussion or announcement. The nuisance of an developers IRC channel has
certainly contributed to that. Even the people working on X.Org here
are sometimes caught by surprise.

Still in this particular instance here I was strongly believing that
someone in the KDE community had taken note since the move away from
a static configuration file is not something that has happened behind
closed doors.

Taking note and doing something is quite different. As I expect it's similar
in X.Org you should know that certain parts of each project may be slower in
getting updated (or even rot). It is not unusual that regardless of whether
somebody notices or not that it takes a while to update something in reaction
to changes from the outside, for many reasons: Nobody noticing, nobody
caring, nobody finding it important enough, developers not willing to install
unstable software, developer using distro XYZ and not caring what openSUSE
does with its distro tools, whatever. E.g. for 11.1 we had to finish KDE
support for PolicyKit, because the upstream version was not usable, and for
11.2 there was nothing at all for the backwards-incompatible PolKit.

It's simply sometimes up for the integrators, i.e. the distribution, to patch
holes. Even though it's theoretical up to upstream, in practice we should
know too.

During the session. Not so well if X e.g. decides that a great default
setup for dualhead desktop machine is cloned mode and one has to go for
xinitrc or do the change manually

No, you do the change once (in the desktop tool, this will remember your
settings and redo them next time.)

Then you know the KDE tool better than I do, since that doesn't work for me.

But Lubos, why are you complaining here and rant at me? It has never
been my suggestion that every desktop is reinventing the wheel and
comes along with its own incarnation of every tool.

Sorry, you're the messenger. And I'm not complaining about the
suggestion for every desktop to roll their own, as much as I don't like
that, but I'm now complaining about those desktops not having been told
in time.

Again, I'm sorry, but I thought that in the huge KDE upstream community
someone had an eye on such things.

So the X.Org community does have someone to keep an eye on things that happen
elsewhere? Rhetorical question, I don't believe the answer to be yes.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer