  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 17:00:51 +0100
On Thursday 03 of December 2009, Egbert Eich wrote:
On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 05:45:58PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
about the cases which need adjustment. Such as, let me think, the case
when one wants to change the global keyboard layout (in xDM) or the case
when the KDE display tool is designed to change the screen setup during a
session but not quite so to do the initial setup (where one would somehow
expect that X's initial setup is X's responsibility). And frankly I'm
getting tired of finding out about such changes the hard way, thanks for
reminding me that I wanted to bring this up. I'll keep that for a
separate mail.

But is this a problem that has popped up exactly yesterday?
xorg.conf also had a static xkb setup which may not have been suitable for
login for a particular user. The global xorg.conf keyboard setup generated
by SaX2 was derived from the setting of KEYTABLE in
/etc/sysconfig/keytable.

That is not what I mean. What I mean is that 11.1 has keyboard layout module
in YaST and that's been removed for 11.2 with the deprecation of SaX2 -> no
way to configure it.

It has been discussed for years that a display manager should have a way
to change the keyboard layout for user login. I'm truely sorry if you have
missed this discussion.

Has it? Well, then that's only one more reason to have a specific place to
announce such changes, since I don't remember anything like that and now you
could have pointed to it and shouted "there!".

about the rest if they don't know xinitrc, huh? Is that far off or did I
guess right? Are now each desktop really to do the X setup during their
startup whenever X doesn't get something right?

No, it is to do the user customization. This has been the case for the
keyboard for a long time already. KDE (as you may know) has offered a
tray applet which allows to change keyboard layouts on the fly. It even
allowed to configure each keyboard layout in the list in great detail.

Too bad it has never allowed the configuration of the keyboard layout in KDM.

Even for mode setting KDE has been supplying krandrtray which may not
be as powerful as the gnome tool at the moment but does its job reasonable
well.

During the session. Not so well if X e.g. decides that a great default setup
for dualhead desktop machine is cloned mode and one has to go for xinitrc or
do the change manually

But Lubos, why are you complaining here and rant at me? It has never been
my suggestion that every desktop is reinventing the wheel and comes
along with its own incarnation of every tool.

Sorry, you're the messenger. And I'm not complaining about the suggestion for
every desktop to roll their own, as much as I don't like that, but I'm now
complaining about those desktops not having been told in time.

I personally doubt that it would have made a huge difference had we
communicated things early on in the 11.2 release cycle. I've seen
bug reports for X coming in. Many of the rather obvious and quite
visible bugs have not been reported until the 2 or 3 weeks prior to
the release.

It would have made a difference. I don't know when the decision to hide SaX
was made, but if we were told about it at the same time, we would have had
time to do something to prevent the bugreports, at least some of them. Some
things are not really that difficult to fix if one knows about them.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer