  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 10:39:32 +0100
Guys,

This is really getting off-topic for opensuse-factory. Would it be
possible to move this discussion to a private one, or to the opensuse@
mailing list?

Thanks,

Vincent

Le mardi 08 décembre 2009, à 09:19 +0100, Per Jessen a écrit :
Carlos E. R. wrote:

No, you don't need that kind of documentation, because you already
know. To me, it is daunting.

Which is an issue that can't be solved by documentation, because how
would you know which document or book to read when you don't know
which library you want to use.

No, because on an organized documentation the first thing is a
description of what each library does. More than one line per lib,
obviously ;-)

Some of what you're asking does exist - the POSIX standard for instance.
The GNU libc documentation. That'll probably get you going. For the
rest, for instance libdkim which I mentioned briefly, there is the
include file "dkim.h" and html documentation as well. That goes for
the vast majority of third party libraries I suspect. (a library
without decent documentation is unlikely to achieve any greater
popularity). Other libraries I use: libgd, libopenssl, libpcre, libz -
they all come with very useful documentation.
I don't think collecting a whole pile of that and turning it into a
library reference manual is going to help very much. You'll only end
up with one enormous book, and you still won't know where to start.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.0°C)