Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:26:42 +0000
2009/12/7 Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>:

- Noveau is relying heavily on KMS for their free 3D driver for NVIDIA
  chipsets.

This is again such a thing: we need volunteers to do this.
The three people at Novell who are dealing with X Window System
related stuff are totally swamped with other stuff - I can rest
everybody assured of that. It's not only openSUSE we need to deal with

So are AMD/ATI beneffitting from having released documentation, with
work towards better FOSS support?

With time since the Direct Render 3D stuff came in, I've noticed less
and less stuff working well with non-proprietary drivers (usually
Nvidia) though I don't have any decent Intel Integrade boxen where I
do read about improvements. In past, I could point out when folk
found proprietary driver were legacied, that FOSS driver stuff was
supported for longer.

Now is frustrating time, as the newer ATI cards haven't got FOSS 3D
support yet, and the older ones not supported by AMD/ATI are also
keenly waiting on FOSS 3D drivers. Ironically, I've got more use out
of ATI card upgrade on Windows, rather than the original intention of
supporting Linux driver development.

Totally understand there have to be priorities, and displaying 2D
desktop has to come first, it'd just be good to know the way things
are heading, when the rants start on forums.