Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:07:06 +0100
On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 06:34:52PM -0500, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

Well you could do it by adding an install rule to /etc/modprobe.d so
that the unbind automatically runs after the module is loaded. Sure it
would be claimed initially, but is the device left in a state where the
driver disassociating would cause a problem?

Part of why we would like to have this is that the driver may be
broken and loading it may crash the system with this particular
device already. Therefore unbinding will of no use any more.

You may say: Then fix the d*** driver. But this may not always
be possible.
Those graphics chips have more transistors than your CPU, are
much less well understood and change more rapidly than you can
blink your eyes. So while the driver works in general it may fail
on some PCI vendor/device/subvendor/subdevice ID (or requires
a special option). I don't think this will change suddenly with
the driver being in the kernel.

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development