Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 17:58:20 +0100
At Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:51:58 -0500,
Jeff Mahoney wrote:

On 12/07/2009 11:46 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Sun, 06 Dec 2009 18:34:52 -0500,
Jeff Mahoney wrote:
The problem in general is that we can't tell the kernel about rules for
a module without first loading the module.

But we can know the PCI id before loading the corresponding module, at
least. So, it'd be possible to load the module only when no
blacklisted pci id is found in the modprobe install script.

Yeah, but then we're in essentially the same position as we would be if
we just blacklisted the module entirely, right?

No, what I suggest is to write a script to check lspci, then load the
module selectively only when any of lspci devices aren't on the
blacklist.

For example, something like below:
% cat /sbin/i915_loader.sh
#!/bin/sh
modeset=""
/sbin/lspci -n | grep -q 1234:5678 || modeset="modeset=1"
exec /sbin/modprobe i915 $modeset

Then add a line below to modprobe.d/somewhere.conf
install i915 /sbin/i915_loader.sh

Takashi