Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:43:52 +0100
On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 02:38:31PM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Thursday, 2009-12-03 at 14:38 +0100, Egbert Eich wrote:

In yesterday's discussion about the future of SaX2 it has been requested
that changes that will affect users in the future are communicated to
the openSUSE community early. KMS (kernel mode setting) integration would
be such a feature, thus I would like to announce this here and
one step further dive into a technical discussion about a possible
solution.

(scared)

(sounds interesting, but I'm scared)

We didn't have a deep technical discussion so far. So no worries ;)

- Noveau is relying heavily on KMS for their free 3D driver for NVIDIA
chipsets.

This is again such a thing: we need volunteers to do this.
The three people at Novell who are dealing with X Window System
related stuff are totally swamped with other stuff - I can rest
everybody assured of that. It's not only openSUSE we need to deal with
- there are also enterprise products to worry about so that
Novell can earn the money that it needs to support openSUSE.

And people are not exactly sitting at their computers and surf
the web all day.

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development