  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 09:09:33 +0100

It often requires just ability to set break point with a message, to locate
code that makes trouble. No much need to understand the code.

It is not only code, it is tools. I used turbodebugger (Borland), locally
or over a serial port. I can't use the linux debugger, I have no idea how.

To program in C I used borland C IDE. You press ctrl-F1 over a function and
you get help on that particular function. Or you you browse the help index
to find a function to do something... AFAIK that is not possible here.
Plus, I got a set of books, in paper, explaining the set of libraries I
got. Explaining how to do things... Yes, here there is documentation, but
you have to find it. Dispersed.

When I was taught C they "forced" me to write a small preamble on each file
explaining what this file of source code this. To document each and every
function on what input to receive, what output it produced, what variables
it changed, and what it did. To write a document on how the program worked;
not a user documentation, but a developer documentation. Both, actually.

I don't see that kind of effort here.

Al that makes a newcomer efforts very difficult. So... no, I can't look at
linux code. Yes, I tried. So I know I can't, except the very simplest of
things...

Carlos, I see your point and I see where you are coming from.
A few projects are like you describe, most aren't though
and certainly the use if IDEs is not wide spread in Linux, I
agree. If you expect a nice, well integrated development and
debugging environment which lets you even browse thru the
documentation of the function calls you use, then there is
probably nothing we can offer.
But for the little baby steps required to get started or to
make a useful contribution or help isolate a bug maybe a simple
"cheat sheet" would suffice.

- Describing how to get documentation on library function (for some
this may even exists).
'man <function_name>' often does the job already.
- Describing the handful commands needed to operate a debugger
(there are graphical front end around which make the job easier).
- Describing the few command one needs to use a version control
system.

If people think that might be helpful I'd sign my name up to get
this started. As always - participation is appreciated.

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development