  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 08:55:54 +0100

It often requires just ability to set break point with a message, to locate
code that makes trouble. No much need to understand the code.

This is a really good point. Personally, I learned C after I was messing
around with code. In a previous life, I ran a bunch of DEC Ultrix

Welcome to the club :)

systems. No shared libraries, ancient X implementation, etc. I ended up
building a *lot* of things for these systems and it didn't always go
smoothly.

I guess it boils down to "it's a lot easier to read code than to write
it." Most of the debugging process is the triage and fault isolation.
Once the problem has been identified, even if it's just narrowed down to
code between printfs, fixing the problem can be a lot quicker.

:)))

It is coming back to think how we can use better smolt and hardware
detection
tools, make information upload lesser labor intensive, from prospectives of
user, developer and/or helper in forums.

This is something that we've discussed informally for a while. I would
love to have a tool that automatically sends backtraces of every
crashing program that we ship back to a server so that we can. We've
always ended up getting hung up on the privacy concerns. If it's opt-in,
not enough people participate. If it's opt-out, we get complaints about
privacy.

We could make progress here if we met on some middle ground.
If people had all this information ready to attach to bugzilla
when they report a bug it would be very useful already.
Writing a bugzilla entry is a wilful act, so I guess no privacy
concerns here :)

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development