  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 08:50:25 +0100
On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 05:22:53PM -0600, Rajko M. wrote:
On Sunday 06 December 2009 12:12:10 Egbert Eich wrote:

However for contributing small things, look
at the code to track down a bug doesn't require very good probramming
skills.

It often requires just ability to set break point with a message, to locate
code that makes trouble. No much need to understand the code.

I'd rather take a patch for a bug that's not idea and rework it
than have to track down every single issue myself.

I guess that even approximate location of bug or activation of debug mode and
look in logs is far better then nothing at all.

Doing 'git bisect' is another example that comes to my mind.

A lot of my work
involves drivers. There we often encounter problems which we cannot
reproduce ourselves.

It is coming back to think how we can use better smolt and hardware detection
tools, make information upload lesser labor intensive, from prospectives of
user, developer and/or helper in forums.

Hardware detection is often not the problem: reproducing exactly
the same situation the user had is. It's often not possible and
even if it is it's a tedious undertaking consuming a lot of time
which could be spend better working on the actual code.

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development