  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 01:56:15 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2009-12-06 at 17:22 -0600, Rajko M. wrote:

On Sunday 06 December 2009 12:12:10 Egbert Eich wrote:

However for contributing small things, look
at the code to track down a bug doesn't require very good probramming
skills.

It often requires just ability to set break point with a message, to locate
code that makes trouble. No much need to understand the code.

It is not only code, it is tools. I used turbodebugger (Borland), locally or over a serial port. I can't use the linux debugger, I have no idea how.

To program in C I used borland C IDE. You press ctrl-F1 over a function and you get help on that particular function. Or you you browse the help index to find a function to do something... AFAIK that is not possible here. Plus, I got a set of books, in paper, explaining the set of libraries I got. Explaining how to do things... Yes, here there is documentation, but you have to find it. Dispersed.

When I was taught C they "forced" me to write a small preamble on each file explaining what this file of source code this. To document each and every function on what input to receive, what output it produced, what variables it changed, and what it did. To write a document on how the program worked; not a user documentation, but a developer documentation. Both, actually.

I don't see that kind of effort here.

Al that makes a newcomer efforts very difficult. So... no, I can't look at linux code. Yes, I tried. So I know I can't, except the very simplest of things...

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.