  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 19:12:10 +0100

On Wednesday, 2009-12-02 at 21:12 -0600, Rajko M. wrote:

On Wednesday 02 December 2009 19:07:22 Carlos E. R. wrote:

The users of a piece of hardware may have no idea how to fix a driver,
they may be just users. People that know how to do that, devs, are
probably tech lovers that love current, powerful hardware... so users are
left stranded.

The same process works with any software.
You can't find XP drivers for hardware that was out with win 98.
If you need that hardware you either use win 98, or look for new hardware.

The same is with Linux.

Well... it was written that one of the pro's points of Linux was that it
could run on older hardware just fine, where windows couldn't. That is not
always true any longer. And yes, this 9 year computer runs about fine, too.
Not a proof, really; on some Bugzillas I've been told that my hardware is
too old.

And, there are a lot of old computers around. At my workplace we use a P-IV
machine with a 9 GB HD and just 255 MiB ram... with XP, not my choice. The
other machine was a P-III that died this summer (power supply). Many people
are stuck with old machines. Some places they recycle old machines to be
sent to poorer countries.

Sure, but this is true only if someone who still owns this hardware and
has an intreset in keeping it running keeps it running. If noone is there
it simply won't happen.
I've got a truckload of old hardware. But having the choice between keeping
this stuff running and investing my time to improve the support of new
hardware or add a feature that can only run on new hardware but improves
the usefulness Linux I'd rather do that. Time is a scarce resource.

Told other way, it is wrong to assume that any user can maintain software
by themselves.

Which is what Egbert told us with "oh, well", but the truth is that everybody
can learn C to extent that will allow him/her to read the code,

Not true, either. Not everybody is capable of programming in C, even if
taught. That they think they can is the root cause of a lot of horrible
software around. Me, I learnt C. I earned my potatoes programming once, not
so long ago. I programmed in C and other things. And no, I'm not capable of
maintaining an existing C Linux project. I know very well the kind of
effort it needs...

I agree with your statement. However for contributing small things, look
at the code to track down a bug doesn't require very good probramming
skills. I'd rather take a patch for a bug that's not idea and rework it
than have to track down every single issue myself. A lot of my work involves
drivers. There we often encounter problems which we cannot reproduce
ourselves.

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development