  • From: Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 12:32:17 -0600
On 12/05/2009 11:59 AM, Larry Stotler wrote:
On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Rob OpenSuSE
<rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If I took out a pentium MMX based 8MiB RAM machine, do you think
openSUSE 11.2 should just work on it? If not why is your old hardware
worthy and mine not?

Of course not. 8MB was a super bare minimum even 10 years ago.
However, I Pentium II/II with 512MB RAM should work properly. Even
some of those machines can't support 512MB. I have a Thinkpad X21
P3/700 that maxes are 384. I also had a Pentium Pro Server that had
4GB RAM and dual procs years ago. A 200Mhz PPro is still too slow for
most things.

According to a report in the openSUSE Forums, 11.2 can be installed
from the LiveCD on an i686 machine as long as swap is available. The
installation was slow, but it worked. From my own experience with an
i586-class machine, you can do a NET install with 256 MB as long as
you select "text only" at boot time. I also have an i586 machine with
128 MB. The only way to install 11.2 is to take its disk to another
machine.