  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 13:05:46 +0000
2009/12/5 Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Wednesday, 2009-12-02 at 21:12 -0600, Rajko M. wrote:

On Wednesday 02 December 2009 19:07:22 Carlos E. R. wrote:

The users of a piece of hardware may have no idea how to fix a driver,
they may be just users. People that know how to do that, devs, are
probably tech lovers that love current, powerful hardware... so users are
left stranded.

The same process works with any software.
You can't find XP drivers for hardware that was out with win 98.
If you need that hardware you either use win 98, or look for new hardware.

The same is with Linux.

Well... it was written that one of the pro's points of Linux was that it
could run on older hardware just fine, where windows couldn't. That is not
always true any longer. And yes, this 9 year computer runs about fine, too.
Not a proof, really; on some Bugzillas I've been told that my hardware is
too old.

Why can't you install old version of Linux on the old hardware? I
found modern browser like Firefox worked surprisingly well displaying
remotely via X.

Not true, either. Not everybody is capable of programming in C, even if
taught. That they think they can is the root cause of a lot of horrible
software around. Me, I learnt C. I earned my potatoes programming once, not
so long ago. I programmed in C and other things. And no, I'm not capable of
maintaining an existing C Linux project. I know very well the kind of effort
it needs...

Very, very true!! Amusingly so :)

The possibility exists, yes. But for practical purposes, plain users are
just as stuck as with any other os. It takes longer to be stuck, yes, but
stuck we are in the long term.

People who want everything served up on a plate, are just as stuck,
those who are willing to make an effort can.

Why can't old version of X & sax2 be built on these troublesome
"retro" machines.