  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 13:39:13 +0100 (CET)

On Wednesday, 2009-12-02 at 14:02 +0100, Clayton wrote:

What about "special" cases, were I need xorg.conf, e.g. support for
stereo or dual monitor layout?

Have you tried dual monitor layout with the new autodetect stuff? In
my experiments with my computer/hardware, it works very well.. much
better than the old xorg.conf way... and much easier.

In my case it was simply a case of plugging in the second monitor and
triggering the autodetect (in KDE, going into the Display settings in
the Configuration windows was all it took). The Display settings had
all the config I needed.. setting which motor was right/left of the
other, and resolutions of each monitor could be changes... could also
set up cloned one big desktop.

If the machine has several users, each one has to repeat the configuration, or even ask somebody else to configure it for them, if they can't cope (it happens).

There should be a way to do a global configuration of those things. It can be a default configuration (including keyboard) which can then be overridden by each user if they want.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.