  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 13:23:53 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2009-12-03 at 16:55 +0100, Egbert Eich wrote:

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 02:07:22AM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Told other way, it is wrong to assume that any user can maintain software
by themselves.

I don't expect every user to fix his drivers.
But at the end of the day somebody needs to do this.
So here is a list of groups that would qualify:

a. the hardware vendor
b. the Linux distributor
c. some free software enthusiast who can code.

Yes.

a. and b. can only do so much: those entities will only invest a limited
amount of resources into this - which is due to finacial constraints, market
share ... whatever.
c. could make a difference here - the bigger the more people became involved.

Yes, too.

I personally can help to grow c.
I can try to do something about a. and b. - by whining at my managers or at
IHVs. Which I've done already with only very limited success :(
In the end of the day the only thing you and me and most everybody else here
can change is c.

Yep.

The only other alternatives I see is to either
live and arrange oneself with broken or non-existent drivers
and stop complaining.
or
switch to Windows or any other purely commercial OS.

Well, plain users can only complain >:-P

My point is that it is not completely true to assume that plain users can take over maintenance or developing. We can't. I know I can't, even tough I said that once I did programming for a living.

(The learning curve is too steep as to be discouraging...)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.