Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 20:27:00 +0100

On 12/04/2009 04:59 AM, Egbert Eich wrote:

- The user can disable KMS (per driver) by adding the a line
options <drivername> modeset=0 to /etc/modprobe.d/options
- ATI (as an example) can simply ship a file containing the line
blacklist radeon
and dump it into /etc/modprobe.d/ to prevent loading the radeon driver.
rerunning mkinitrd will generate a new initrd without the radeon module.

YaST or the ATI installer could just dump the options or blacklist in
its own file in /etc/modprobe.d. The "options" file isn't special.
modprobe reads them all.

Definitely. I was going to write ATI could use the file fglrx.conf.

The reason why I (and probably you) think that this might be useful is
that SaX2 used to maintain per device ID lists of driver options.
kernel developer might have a different take on that.

Yeah, it's probably possible to do it per-device, but right now the code
doesn't support it. It's a driver-global option.

A per device blacklist would require modprobe to look at the alias list
in the driver, match it against the hardware on the system and then apply
the result to the blacklist.
To make it general it would have to be usable for all sorts of device IDs.
If we need it and the kernel people would accept such a feature (Jeff,
your reply is very encouraging) I would actually implement this.

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development