[opensuse-factory] dropping BitTorrent (Mainline) package
  • From: Jan Matejek <jan.matejek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:25:24 +0100
dear openSUSErs,

for a long time we've been distributing the official BitTorrent (a.k.a.
Mainline) client. And for some years we've been stuck with version
4.0.4, because we couldn't include DHT support (legal reasons).

Now that it turns out that we can include DHT after all, it also turns
out that mainline's source is closed since 2007 or something. There is
still version 5.3 available under GPL, but i don't see much value in
upgrading to version that is three years old. (and to be perfectly
honest, i'm not even sure that our BitTorrent version still works)

We now have better bittorrent clients for GUI (KTorrent, Transmission)
as well as for console (rtorrent - not in the official distro, but can
be found in OBS), so losing Mainline shouldn't be a problem.
If you use bittorrent in headless environments, you might be interested
in combining ncurses-based rtorrent with 'screen'.

Deleterequest#25604 filed. May you rest in peace, BitTorrent.

regards
m.