Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:25:18 +0100
On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 03:06:41PM +0100, Egbert Eich wrote:
On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:04:52PM +0100, Stefan Dirsch wrote:

Makes perfectly sense to me. ATI can run mkinitrd in %postin.

If we want black listing or option listing based on PCI Ids we'd have
to provide a script which scans the hardware and adds appropirate entries
to /etc/modprobe.d/. It would have to be rerun every time the hardware
changes.

Assuming that drivers themselves provide such a blacklist file, this script
could be run in %postin of such a driver package.

I would like to avoid this. The system may become inconsistent too easily.
If you keep information in one place which needs to be converted to be
stored in some other place where it is actually used you just ask for
such inconstencies to happen.
The user changes HW or edits the blacklist and wonders why things don't
happen as expected (from the blacklist settings).
Do we really need a per device ID blacklist?

Another option would be to hardcode that blacklist in the DRM driver itself,
but then it should be possible to overwrite that default (how?). Not sure
whether that's feasable at all.

Expanding modprobe to perform such a mapping might be possible but I
don't want to go this route without soliciting for feedback on
opensuse-kernel.

Understood.

If we really think this feature is needed we should start the discussion.
If we cannot think of any reasonable use case now we should wait with this.

Ok. I believe it makes sense, but we might be the first ones asking for this
feature and it might be not appreciated at all. Probably most developers will
say: Fix the driver in that case or disable KMS for that ID.

I will change the packages removing the device ID specific blacklists if you
don't object.

For now that's fine. :-)

CU,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany