Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 05:52:19 +0100
On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 05:27:08PM +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:
On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 05:15:31PM +0100, Martin Schlander wrote:
That's only possible for RPMs built for openSUSE right?

I see no reason why fglrx couldn't do this by default everywhere, it
certainly wouldn't break anything - someone only needs to let ATI know
about this in time so that there's enough time for new fglrx version to
get released before 11.3.

I believe %post of packages/SuSE/fglrx.spec in the shell script archive, from
which all spec files are generated, can easily be adjusted. So everybody using
"--buildpkg <distribution>" can benefit from such a change.

People installing the blobs the manual way would have perform these actions
manually? .. which currently means _all_ fglrx users on 11.2 for example.

Package build is done since about we released 11.2. Now we're waiting for ATI
to put them onto their server.

There is a work-around possible for the fglrx RPM builder: :)

http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/426190-generating-catalyst-9-11-rpms-opensuse-11-2-a.html

Fixed for 9-12. Also in git master, 8.68/9-12 and 8.67/9-11 branches on
Phoronix.

Agreed, it's a pain, but hardly openSUSE's fault. :(

The culprit was a radical change in behaviour of RPM on 11.2. Ask Rüdiger
Oertel for details, if you're interested.

About the statement, it's hardly openSUSE's fault. Any help I could get from
the openSUSE community for the fglrx packaging scripts would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany