Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Announcing important changes in the distribution
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 21:01:59 +0100
On Wednesday 02 December 2009 19:54:40 Will Stephenson wrote:

How about opening the Technical Project Manager's batcave and sharing what
all the critical components and teams are that have input into release
design, setting up a couple of rounds of meetings or email to present all
these potential Outside Context Problems [1] that can spoil each other's
release cycles, and making the rules clear to deter late breaking changes?
I'm not talking about SLE levels of paperwork here.

Make a proposal on a setup that works and we can agree to it. So far I can't
see such a setup. The dist meetings were never really useful and for those
parts where they were useful I query opensuse-factory by mail and then it's
gently ignored. If you need an example, look up the thread about me asking
about as-needed and then compare the thread with who did all the work.

There seems to be little to none interest into "release design", everyone
seems to be happy with bashing with what others did or did not do. You're
free to monitor all openfate entries and figure out which feature has impact
on what teams. This is a full time job for at least 5 people I'm afraid.

So Lubos's approach of everyone applying common sense when doing changes
sounds to me like having the best chance to success. Meetings do not.

So far the "who does the patch wins" policy brought us more goods than bads
and I don't see a way to loose the bads without also loosing the goods. You're
free to dream up a world where some small group of people can meet and decide
what open source development will bring up in the next 8 months and how it
influences 11.3, but I'm not living in such a world so I don't like to be
part of that group.

Again: I'm not happy with the current state on how we develop, so I'm not
defending any part of it. I just know worse ways - and you seem to suggest
one of them. If you (or whoever) have other ideas on how to improve the
concrete problems we're facing (e.g. 170 failing packages + 30 expansion
errors for factory and hardly anyone caring) I'm open to discuss them.

Greetings, Stephan