  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:12:31 +0100
On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 12:31:30PM +0100, jdd wrote:
Le 02/12/2009 12:20, Egbert Eich a écrit :

As a free software developer who has devoted a lot of his spare time
on developing free software I always found the demanding attitude of
some users very inappropriate. This is no different regarding the demands
made on Novell.

I spend 3/4 hours a day for opensource, mostly through documentation
(and running a LUG)

I also was running a big association some years ago. When I decided to
stop, I warned the other members a very long time ahead (more than one
year).

if you want the advantages of opensource, you have also to be
respectfull with the others.

Did I say anything else? I don't think that Novell has acted disrespectful
regarding SaX2. When the decision was made it was made sure that nobody was
left out in the rain.
As with all new technologies there are problems of course. We need to fix
those. When I upgrade my system I often run into regressions somewhere which
may just affect my particular system or setup.

with zero delay, very dificult

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

your message said "we stop for 11.2" that is it's already stopped.

Yes, and I believe it was documented in the release notes.
Sure, it could have been discussed earlier - in fact I had plans to
do so but didn't find the time.

Then we should take a look at the situation and see what we can do about
it. If you change a monitor on a running system you at least need to
retrigger
a scan (as this is not done automatically, yet).

? I moved the computer 200 miles away, of course it was stopped and
restarted.

Ok, makes semse - but how was I supposed to know?

Of course if the new
monitor does not support the old mode you will be left without a display
- which is no different from before

sax2 -a did the job. Without sax2, what could I have done?

If you did monitor detection and it didn't work with your new monitor
we should look into where the problems are and fix them.

done

and I don't want here to focus on one specific case, I just gave
examples to show the present system don't work well (I have others)

Understood.

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development