  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:26:00 +0100
On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 10:52:25AM -0500, Larry Stotler wrote:
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx> wrote:

The Future of SaX2
==================

Having used S.u.S.E. since v5.3, I have always appreciate SaX2. And I
also don't agree with the direction that X.org has taken in regards to
displays. This works fine on an LCD(which is definitely becoming more

This decision follows a common trend: make things hot pluggable as much as
possible. If you have a laptop and use it for presentations a lot you
will definitely applaud the decision.
If you have a setup with a box under your desk wired to a monitor
on top of your desk where you can hardly reach the connectors you
most likely don't care - or care if things don't work for you as
expected.

common) so that the display is at it's native resolution, but it
doesn't work as well for CRTs or for setting up multiple displays
sometimes. Even on my dual 19" CRTS on my desktop, I set them to
1024x768. I have 2 for a reason.

However, if the tools in KDE & Gnome are able to set the displays up
properly(which never worked in the past since SaX2 was the default
config tool), then I'm personally not sure that SaX2 is really needed.
I haven't really had time to play with 11.2 yet so I don't know how
well it works, but I did have to change my son's 19" CRT down because
he complained it was too high, and I was glad that SaX2 was there.
HOWEVER, I didn't look in the KDE4 settings to see if it was
available.

So, I guess one thing that should be considered is if the KDE & Gnome
config tools are up to snuff.....

Yes, definitely. And we may have a time period during transition where
things are not all that smooth. On the other hand openSUSE hasn't been
an early adaptor of this new technology. While there were tools to support
randr for a while already SaX2 was kept going for as long as it was feasable.

Cheers,
Egbert.