  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 23:20:06 +0100
However, if sax2 wasn't used from the beginning, there would be no
static configuration for the better monitor, X would automatically
determine the (probably) right settings instead. And if you change
the monitor, X simply picks fresh settings appropriate for the new
monitor.

Of course there are probably corner cases where the settings picked by X
aren't optimal. I guess the argument is that in these *specific* cases,
it should be possible to hand-tune the configuration using the existing
GUI tools, and that cases where manual configuration change is necessary
are rare enough for that to be a sufficient solution.

I have to say here that the auto tools are working VERY well for me on
11.2. I've tried various monitors, and even a projector (some call
them beamers), and it got it right every time. When I wanted to
adjust the auto selected resolution to something different, I just had
to use the Display settings in the KDE4 Configure Desktop and I could
select alternate resolutions. I've even had the case where a game
crashed and left the desktop at a low resolution... setting it back to
the correct resolution wasn't hard at all.

I do have one more acid test for it though :-P My LCD TV which in
theory can run at high resolutions... 1900x1040 or something like
that, but sax2 could never configure higher than 1024x768 no matter
what I did with it. Maybe I'll try it this coming weekend.

I guess my point is... for me.. sax2 going away is no loss. The auto
detect thing is working on my hardware way better than sax2 and the
xorg.conf ever did.

C.