  • From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 23:07:04 +0100
On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 09:29:53PM +0100, jdd wrote:
I just want to say that Sax2 is mandatory now. On 11.2, changing a
monitor for a worst one, with less resolution, let the user without
solution and without screen (I had this on two very different computers)

the solution is sax2 -a, simply, so may be a very simplifyed sax2 is
enough (may be a simple script)

Others already said it, but I'd like to phrase it more clearly - the
problem you are seeing is actually most likely precisely *because* sax2
is used! It creates a static X configuration for the given monitor, and
if you swap your monitor, the static configuration will not work anymore
and you need to re-run sax2 to re-create the configuration.

However, if sax2 wasn't used from the beginning, there would be no
static configuration for the better monitor, X would automatically
determine the (probably) right settings instead. And if you change
the monitor, X simply picks fresh settings appropriate for the new
monitor.

Of course there are probably corner cases where the settings picked by X
aren't optimal. I guess the argument is that in these *specific* cases,
it should be possible to hand-tune the configuration using the existing
GUI tools, and that cases where manual configuration change is necessary
are rare enough for that to be a sufficient solution.

--
Petr "Pasky" Baudis
A lot of people have my books on their bookshelves.