  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 21:23:05 +0000
2009/12/1 Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>:
* jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> [12-01-09 15:31]:

Yes, earlier today an announcement was made about a business decision.

I think it very unfriendly for Novell to make so hudge change without
asking the rest of the community. May be some other Novell tasks could
be less important for openSUSE than SaX2...

You must remember that Novell does *not* work for the "Community", but
donates time and money toward bettering the "Community" Project.  Their
decision is no different than you choosing to use another distro, except
it was based on their current business conditions.

Aside from "business" let's be fairer.

This change is an inevitable technical decision, a consequence of the
Xorg community decision to move to auto-configuration. Blame Klaus
Knopper for showing that you could auto-detect and configure on the
fly, even if you started with Debian, if you need a scapegoat. Noone
misses hacking sendmail.cf (& sendmail freeze) files, nor twiddling
with disk geometry parameters and block layout on disk platters.

I will not miss modelines, and add weird z-axis button assignments and
other unnatural contortions I have performed over the years.

I just want to say that Sax2 is mandatory now. On 11.2, changing a
monitor for a worst one, with less resolution, let the user without
solution and without screen (I had this on two very different computers)

the solution is sax2 -a, simply, so may be a very simplifyed sax2 is
enough (may be a simple script)

Equally working non-static configuration ought to work. If you don't
have a static X11/xorg.conf then you simply detach monitor and restart
X.

How could ppl plug in laptops to monitor cables and projects and have
it just work, if somone who understands graphics & monitor tweaks
needs to run a tool, outside the GUI environment most are comfortable
in? What about connecting moue and proper keyboard via USB?

With the changes going on in X, KMS & unified graphics memory
management, plenty breakage is to be expected. If Sax2 tried to
adapt it'd likely be broken to right now, rather than a legacy
configurator for a legacy static mode. I hope that Novell help the
FOSS driver development, particularly for those with cards that were
"legacied" earlier in the year sooner than anyone hoped.

Rob