  • From: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:12:34 -0500

On 12/01/2009 12:59 PM, Donn Washburn wrote:
On 12/01/2009 09:52 AM, Larry Stotler wrote:
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Egbert Eich<eich@xxxxxxx> wrote:

The Future of SaX2
==================

Having used S.u.S.E. since v5.3, I have always appreciate SaX2. And I
also don't agree with the direction that X.org has taken in regards to
displays. This works fine on an LCD(which is definitely becoming more
common) so that the display is at it's native resolution, but it
doesn't work as well for CRTs or for setting up multiple displays
sometimes. Even on my dual 19" CRTS on my desktop, I set them to
1024x768. I have 2 for a reason.

However, if the tools in KDE& Gnome are able to set the displays up
properly(which never worked in the past since SaX2 was the default
config tool), then I'm personally not sure that SaX2 is really needed.
I haven't really had time to play with 11.2 yet so I don't know how
well it works, but I did have to change my son's 19" CRT down because
he complained it was too high, and I was glad that SaX2 was there.
HOWEVER, I didn't look in the KDE4 settings to see if it was
available.

So, I guess one thing that should be considered is if the KDE& Gnome
config tools are up to snuff.....

Thanx

OK Question will xorg's autoconfig be able to setup multiply resolution
using <ctrl><alt><+/->? SaX2 and xorg.conf could do that.

I don't think so, but it might be interesting to teach tools like the
gnome display configurator about those key combinations as hotkeys to
perform the same thing via xrandr.

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney