Re: [opensuse-factory] Is there something the matter with the nouveau driver?
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:15:14 +0100
On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 01:32:58PM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The nouveau driver is not in the oss repo. It was in 11.0, it disappeared
in 11.1, it is not back in 11.2, where it can only be found in a home
repo.

It's also in X11:Drivers:Video/xorg-x11-driver-video-nouveau but no longer
builds against 11.1/11.2. Due to lack of ressources Novell employees couldn't
look into that yet. Patches/submitrequests are welcome though.

A year ago, 2008-11-30, Marcus Meissner wrote in this mail list, in reply
to a question from Rajko M:

] Is no longer on 11.1, was dropped.
]
] It can be found in the oS buildservice.

<http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2008-11/msg01228.html>

But why? Is it bad, wrong, too experimental? What?

We can't support it. Due to nouveau driver knowledge and lack of ressources.

Thus, the order of preference for the X org people is:

1) privative nvidia driver
2) open nouveau driver
3) open nv driver.

Why, if to them the nouveau driver takes preference to nv, was not
included in the distro?

What's wrong with that logic? Give the shipped driver the lowest priority, so
other manually installed 3rd party drivers are preferred. I believe this is
what the user expects. The order still makes sense to me.

Something wrong with that driver?

See above.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany