Re: [opensuse-factory] postfix updates not running postmap
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 12:55:35 +0100 (CET)

On Friday, 2009-11-27 at 23:15 -0600, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

Quoting Patrick Shanahan <>:

I am consistently getting postfix updates which do not perform postmap
against changed files, expecially relay, header-checks and generic,
generating error entries in /var/log/mail.

SuSEconfig does *not* perform postmap against these files.

Have you modified these files by hand?

No, they are untouched as they were installed from the rpm. They contain
*only* comments.

So there are no semantic changes. Why does postmap need to be run? Oh, error
entries in /var/log/mail. How about posting the error messages.

All that is irrelevant.

The moment one of those files is modified in any manner (date stamp) postmap has to be run on those modified files. This is known and documented. It is a failure of the installation script not to do that, or trigger a proces that does.

And of course, postfix will notice and report in the log.

I personally use a Makefile in /etc/postfix/, thus running "make" takes care of it.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.