Re: [opensuse-factory] Leafnode dropped ?!
  • From: Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:47:01 +0100
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:20:14 +0100
Daniele <kailed@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Il martedì 24 novembre 2009, Per Jessen scrisse:

opensuse-packaging.

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2009-08/msg00172.html

Personally I doubt if many community members actually read that.
Me too :(

Well, I was seeking for people to take my packages over. I didn't want
to SPAM all lists, so I asked where I thought the chance that somebody
would step up was reasonably good.

And again, I think that the leafnode package is a pretty good one to
get into packaging:

* it was (hopefully ;) in good shape when I abandoned it
* upstream development is slow, at best
* it is not heavily patched, IIRC

So all you need to do for a start is to keep it up to date with changes
in the build service etc. Stricter rules coming up, new compilers being
more pedantic, stuff like that.

That's actually much easier than it might sound, because whenever
something changes in the build service, you are not the only one with
the problem and common answers are given quickly on the packagers list.

I also do not have the feeling that opensuse-packagers is an especially
hostile place. OK, I also refrain from answering the "please can
somebody explain me packaging from the beginning?" questions, because I
simply don't have the time to, but there should be no need answering
such questions when taking over a reasonably maintained package ;)

If it really turns out being that bad, you can still drop the package,
and somebody else can then step up ;-)

And don't forget to have a lot of fun...

seife
--
"I've never seen this before."
"Its a blue light."