Re: [opensuse-factory] Leafnode dropped ?!
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:23:14 +0000
2009/11/24 Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>:
2009/11/24 Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Exactly.  We have release schedules, so why not put out what's planned
to be dropped in the next release in an annoucement, 6 months & 4
months before.

I doubt Stefan knew 4 months before that he was going to drop them.
Packages get dropped because the maintainer stops working at Novell,
because a bus runs over the maintainer or in general because of things
the maintainer usually doesn't knows months in advance (if he knew he
would have avoided the bus...).

Understood.

But sometimes packages which are felt not to be heavily used, or
appear to duplicate functionality might however be subject to phase
out. I am a little incredulous that whether a package like leafnode,
gets included in the main distro, is down to chance of whether someone
feels like taking it on.

The auto-generated list posted seems to be giving a lot of "false"
positives, package renames or re-structuring.