Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:16:12 +0100
houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

The majority of computer users are using Windows. As we are using Linux, I
do not think that a simple count is sufficient to motivate things.

That's probably why we focus on GNOME and KDE.

It is not about offering. It is about thinking outside the KDE/GNOME
box.

No, it is about thinking about limited ressources. Ressources are
always limited and you must set priorities. And here, it is the
openSUSE community setting priorities--this does not work by talking,
but by stepping up and doing cool things.

Firefox, Emacs and OOo are great examples of how it SHOULD be. Konqueror,
Kate and Koffice are how they NOT should be.

Actually I'm not that sure. Guys prefering tools with a higher
consistency, probably go for KDE and the K tools collection. Or GNOME
and G tools. Even if you can compile Emacs to use GTK, it is still a
very strange GTK application (and far away from being GNOME
compliant)--I'm allowed to say this, because I use Emacs all day long ;)

There are different examples that wast time in my point of view. A KDE and
a GNOME YaST instead of a GUI YaST that is for all to see. I asume the
reason is that it looks nicer.

And it works better on the target desktop. A desktop agnostic GUI YaST
would look strange and too limited on both our desktops (IMO). Then
better use the ncurses incarnation, which I do most of the time and
which I like very much.

--
Karl Eichwalder
R&D / Documentation