Re: [opensuse-factory] Leafnode dropped ?!
  • From: houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:51:33 +0100
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:04:48PM +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
2009/11/24 Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On 24/11/09 06:52, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
So why not stop complaining and start fixing? ;-)

Likely because complaining is easier than fixing ;-)

Actually, especially in the leafnode case, the energy spent complaining
here would be enough to maintain the package for at least 3 years ;)

You have apparently no idea how bad I am at doing things like that. ;-)

And it is NOT about leafnode that I complain. It is about the whole
process. You could even think about not only dropped packages, but
packages that were never included.

The issue is that packages are dropped apparently because there are not
enough developers or maintainers. Now how much I would love to be one, I
must also understand my limitations.

So we should be going to the bottom and look as to why there are not
enough and what we can do to change that. Do other distributions have the
same issues and how do they solve it?

Almost each and every package is available under Debian. How do they do
that and what can we learn from that, so we can implement that or even do
it better.

If the answer is more package maintainers, the perhaps we must see how we
can do that. What are the problems people face who are trying to become
one. Perhaps the learning cruve is to big. Perhaps people are afraid of
the resposability for one package. Perhaps there are other things.

houghi
--
First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then