Re: [opensuse-factory] Yast2 and printers
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:31:32 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Nov 21 20:58 Donn Washburn wrote:
I have come up with a Brother MFC-7840W (USB) which according to
"www.linuxprinting.org" should work perfectly if I use their 2 files.rpm
and cups. I downloaded from Brother the 2 files and openSuSE version of
cups. I called up Yast2 >Hardware>Printers and there was Brother
MFC7840W. I set Letter, Default and a Driver. Yast2 agreed with all of
my selections. I saved it. I then tried "lp hosts" and cups gave it a
job # and "lsusb", "hwinfo -printer" showed a "modprobe usblp",
"depmode | grep usblp" was found "lpq" shows the printer is ready. I
restarted "/etc/init.d/cups" and rebooted - just for grins - neither
helped. Fina;lly I even confitmed all 3 device were there.

Anyone see a problem or think of something else to check

I do not have such kind of device because it requires a non-free
driver so that I don't know any details here.

Regarding printing, see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
"If problems are encountered"

Regarding scanning, see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.2
"Trouble-Shooting (Debugging)"

Furthermore you may have to do whatever special setup actions
(e.g. call whatever Brother setup tool or script) so that you
should read the Brother documentation how to set up their driver.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex