Re: [opensuse-factory] Leafnode dropped ?!
  • From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:44:43 +0100
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 07:30:16PM +0100, Daniele wrote:
Il lunedì 23 novembre 2009, houghi scrisse:
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:23:49AM -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
On 21/11/09 14:39, Daniele wrote:
Dropped ? I hope not it's widely used and still manteined !!!
If dropped, is there a valid reason ?

Package has no maintainer.

That is a huge problem. Pity I do not have the knowledge.
Unfortunatly what I am seeing is that openSUSE is becoming more and
more only focused on KDE/GNOME and all the rest is pushed back,
except the Zypper stuff.
I agree!
Leafdnode -> dropped
phpMyadmin -> only in build server
the list could be long..

Are so many developers gone that software that was maintained in the
past does not have a maintainer anymore?

Also: is there a list of things that are being dropped because there
is no maintainer?
What about an unmanteined repo ? With packages that build without issue
and without known security bugs..
No, I don't have the knowledge :)
It could be done by the build server, package marked "unmanteined" -> go
to unmanteined repo.

Unfortunately, I think this just isn't feasible, e.g. consider the
latest change in rpm which required fixing of huge amount of packages so
that their patches apply without fuzz. These changes seem to happen
occassionally and after some time, only few packages would manage to
remain there.

The best way to help is to _get_ the knowledge, and pick up few easy
packages. :) It really is not as hard as it seems, once you get the
courage. I wonder if there is any "easy RPM packaging" HOWTO we can
point people at?

--
Petr "Pasky" Baudis
A lot of people have my books on their bookshelves.