Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:38:11 +0100

On 11/21/2009 07:07 PM, Rob OpenSuSE wrote:
2009/11/21 Marcus Meissner <>:

I think Michael just wanted to distract everyone from yast2 gtk.

Right but it has kind of back fired, YaST ncurses seems to have
support, whilst GNOME YaST hasn't had much praise.

Not much. Not even from me, a gnome user :-}

An interface is that, an interface. I don't see why the gtk or qt versions have
to be that
different. It is, or should be, paint a window here, a message there, a dialog
over there... both
gtk and qt should allow the same things. Being so different is a nightmare both
for maintainers and
helpdesks (devs and people doing user support).

The purpose of having both gtk and kde interfaces, to me, is just not needing
to have the "other"
set of libraries. I mean, not needing kde libs when you use gnome in order to
be able to run yast,
and having a more integrated look. I wouldn't care if it were neither gtk or
qt, but X only.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.