[opensuse-factory] MAJOR::no system logs
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 09:29:33 -0500
Since yesterday I have no more system logs :^(
Perhaps because of the switch from syslog-ng to rsyslog?
Yesterday is the first time in five days that I have gone lower than
runlevel 3, I went to "init 1" and back to "init 5".

Factory
11.2 x86_64

klogd-1.4.1-721.3
sysstat-9.0.4-6.13
rsyslog-2.0.4-2.46
syslog-ng-2.0.9-31.2.x86_64

packages from:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Base:/System/openSUSE_Factory/

both show "running"
restarted both

I am getting mail logs but not to /var/log/mail, rather /var/log/maillog

# grep maillog locate syslog |grep conf
/etc/rsyslog.conf:mail.* -/var/log/maillog

# ps aux | grep log
/sbin/rsyslogd -c 4 -f /etc/rsyslog.conf

but rsyslog.conf \= syslog-ng.conf

faux pas ???

Is it necessary to edit rsyslog.conf to get my logs and do I need to
learn the new syntax or is there going to be an equilivant rsyslog.conf
provided? My syslog-ng.conf has not changed for over a year and I do not
recall ever making personal changes to it other than perhaps yast.

Bug Report ???