Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 14:17:28 +0000
2009/11/21 Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

While it would be possible to achieve functionality and usability goals in
either toolkit, the Qt UI is far better able to 'pass' as native gtk+ app,
because it actually uses gtk+ to paint its UI when using QGtkStyle, whereas a
gtk+ app can only mimic Qt's look and feel.  It's like Tom Cruise's Mission
Impossible synthetic skin disguises vs. the stick-on moustache approach of
60s
spy flicks.  So no, it wouldn't be worth it.  And I know you have a soft spot
for C++ ;).

I don't understand why both interfaces have to be so different. To me the
ideal would be an engine
with different display modules (gtk, qt, ncurses, web) with all a similar
display and usage.

Me to, though having a couple variants allows change without
disrupting everyone at once, there's an automatic fall back. Making
one core engine, which supported all the interfaces above, would make
it much harder to change, as you'ld have to update all the client
display & interaction modules to at same time.

That said, in recent "Who runs GNOME?" thread on forum, programs like
K3b were claimed by some GNOME-ites as native applications. We don't
only have 256MiB RAM these days so the client library over-head is
less critical. One example firefox used to be unacceptably fat and
sluggish to me on a KDE system, whereas now it's viable as the default
browser.

So I think Will has a point, that the Qt based programs are likely to
be able to fool many end users.

If there's GNOME/KDE/XFCE interoperability issues, isn't that
something to refer to freedesktop.org?

Rob