Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 14:45:53 +0100

On 11/20/2009 09:02 PM, Will Stephenson wrote:
On Friday 20 November 2009 16:35:17 Michael Meeks wrote:

would you really
even entertain the converse - a gtk+ yast2 with some theming hacks on
KDE ?

While it would be possible to achieve functionality and usability goals in
either toolkit, the Qt UI is far better able to 'pass' as native gtk+ app,
because it actually uses gtk+ to paint its UI when using QGtkStyle, whereas a
gtk+ app can only mimic Qt's look and feel. It's like Tom Cruise's Mission
Impossible synthetic skin disguises vs. the stick-on moustache approach of
60s
spy flicks. So no, it wouldn't be worth it. And I know you have a soft spot
for C++ ;).

I don't understand why both interfaces have to be so different. To me the ideal
would be an engine
with different display modules (gtk, qt, ncurses, web) with all a similar
display and usage.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.