Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 21:02:50 +0100
On Friday 20 November 2009 16:35:17 Michael Meeks wrote:
On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 13:41 +0100, Will Stephenson wrote:
Seconded, QGtkStyle could allow us to focus our resources on really
improving one YaST GUI so that it improves and fits into both
desktops rather than having two that get minimal developer love
between versions.

This seems unlikely to match the goals of those working on yast2-gtk,

In what way?

first of good quality Gnome integration,

Does the integration go beyond Gnome HIG compliance, icons and native widgets?

and secondly of a better yast
user experience: so far, there is a certain amount of innovation there -
improved sizing, layout and rendering of eg. 'frame' widgets in a more
HIG compliant fashion, more icon goodness, the S/W manager etc.

This innovation I would like to share; on the one hand the Gtk+ sw_single
makes a conscious attempt to improve usability, on the other, its way of
working provokes a yuck response. I'd apply this urge to improve matters to
Qt sw_single to achieve your stated goals and improve usability for both.

So, your suggested approach seems unlikely to fly;

That hasn't been demonstrated, has it?

would you really
even entertain the converse - a gtk+ yast2 with some theming hacks on
KDE ?

While it would be possible to achieve functionality and usability goals in
either toolkit, the Qt UI is far better able to 'pass' as native gtk+ app,
because it actually uses gtk+ to paint its UI when using QGtkStyle, whereas a
gtk+ app can only mimic Qt's look and feel. It's like Tom Cruise's Mission
Impossible synthetic skin disguises vs. the stick-on moustache approach of 60s
spy flicks. So no, it wouldn't be worth it. And I know you have a soft spot
for C++ ;).

Best regards

Will

--