Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:51:48 +0000
2009/11/20 Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Le vendredi 20 novembre 2009, à 13:01 +0100, Andrea Florio a écrit :
and also rember that lots of sys admin use SSH as secure remore
connection... and ncurses gui is much easier to use.

And here we come back to the question of what is our primary target
audience. You are interested in the sysadmin case, but some contributors
are more interested in desktop users who are not sysadmins.

Until we answer this question, there will be disagreements on topics
like this.

For example, my personal take is that a lot of yast modules aren't
needed for a standard desktop user (which doesn't mean they should be
available for installation, of course). [Note that I'm not pushing for
this change, this is just an example of a similar topic where people
will disagree]

Actually YaST ncurses helps the non-sysadmin to when their X is broken.
Desktop users aren't interested in "power" features, until they need
them, but having things that get you unstuck, like gpart(8) installed
is a very good idea. They don't harm normal users by presenting
over-whelming choice.

I think the Installer, should have an "Expert" check box at start, and
hide info about "blowfish" and such like, present simplistic disk
partition options for non-Expert. The Expert could then be presented
with more choice more directly and not have time wasted by 'partition
proposals' or having to click through a whole lot of things to get to
spots which give real control.

Presumably YaST could have a Simple or Expert view to in the control centre?

Rob