Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:41:06 +0100
On Thursday 19 November 2009 13:48:56 Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:
On Thursday 19 November 2009 12:18:02 David C. Rankin wrote:
On my gnome install I have a really weird yast sw management module. My
guess is that it is just to gnome one, but I want to confirm. So do the
normal and gnome yast software management apps really have that
different of a UI? If so, can I make the gnome one back into the one I'm
used to?

Yes. Some years ago the Desktop team pushed for this user interface in
addition to the gtk native UI plugin.

I don't think the effort was worth it. Personally, I don't find the gnome
version of the software management module easier.

On the gtk backend side. While this effort was started before Qt 4.x, it
could had been solved by the nice Qt 4.x gtk integration plus the qgtk
theme + some improvements here and there in a much cheaper way.

This is how the Qt package selector looks in gtk with those pieces:
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2158/yast2pkgselectorqgtk1.png

A normal module that looks like this in gtk:
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/592/yast2ntpclientgtk.png

Would look like this:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3586/yast3timezoneqgtk.png

The additional effort would have been those fancy blue headers and the
button icons.

Seconded, QGtkStyle could allow us to focus our resources on really improving
one YaST GUI so that it improves and fits into both desktops rather than
having two that get minimal developer love between versions.

Will