Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Sankar P <sankar.curiosity@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:30:53 +0530
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Vahis <waxborg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sankar P wrote:
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Vahis <waxborg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Michael Meeks wrote:

      Well - lets hope the "one yast2-web version to rule them all" comes
soon, and we can drop the ncurses package manager at the same time as qt
and gtk.

What on Earth are you talking about?
Dropping ncurses yast?

Please say it's a typo or something. Maybe a brain fart?

<snip>
 If you want
something less resource intensive and doesn't like GUI, use zypper.

So you think YaST is only for software management?
imho, "brain-fart" is too harsh a word to use in this discussion.

And commandline interface to YaST over ssh without GUI, neither in
client nor server
is something very important.

YaST makes openSUSE unique as such, ncurses yast even more.

It's about remote administration in general, not just clickety software
management.

Don't say something should be dropped if you don't know what it is.
--
Vahis

I am surprised that still there exists networks with a need for remote
admin, but none of the client machines not being able to run a GUI
browser. Understand that I (or anyone) didn't demand a removal of
yast-ncurses and filed a FATE request for it. It is just a personal
opinion on the yast front end future as I perceive it.

However, my opinion on usage of "brain-fart" as harsh/needless still holds.

--
Sankar P
http://psankar.blogspot.com