Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Sankar P <sankar.curiosity@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:46:47 +0530
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Vahis <waxborg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michael Meeks wrote:
      Well - lets hope the "one yast2-web version to rule them all" comes
soon, and we can drop the ncurses package manager at the same time as qt
and gtk.

What on Earth are you talking about?
Dropping ncurses yast?

Please say it's a typo or something. Maybe a brain fart?

My 2 cents: Both the GTK and Qt interface have some usability
problems. The 1-click install workflow has too many 1-clicks as well.
;-)

At the same time, most of the complaints against GTK interface are
from people who are used to the Qt interface and just unable to accept
a changed-workflow. Some of the first time linux users (Gnome
desktop) liked the GTK interface much better than Qt as it gels well
with the look and feel of the rest of their applications. The GTK
interface was very bad in its first version and has improved greatly
of late.

I am sure none of the thick clients will be dropped until the
web-interface matures and is fully functional. so Don't Panic. But I
see no reason why we should carry on with these thick clients on a
longer run. Web interface should be the default way to go as the
system can be managed even from a Windows machine. If you want
something less resource intensive and doesn't like GUI, use zypper.

imho, "brain-fart" is too harsh a word to use in this discussion.

--
Sankar P
http://psankar.blogspot.com