Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: "Richard (MQ)" <osl2008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:56:09 +0000
Rob OpenSuSE wrote:
2009/11/19 Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>:

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 14:03 +0100, Martin Schlander wrote:
Torsdag den 19. november 2009 13:48:56 skrev Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett:
I don't think the effort was worth it. Personally, I don't find the gnome
version of the software management module easier.
Well - lets hope the "one yast2-web version to rule them all" comes
soon, and we can drop the ncurses package manager at the same time as qt
and gtk.

Please NO! The fact that you get console mode tool, which works
better than GUI on machines with low memory, or where you want to
minimise disruption to "daily business" is a selling point of the
distro.

Qt v KDE v GTK graphical tool kit stuff is about stylistic
differences, whereas ncurses(3) features offer genuine functionality
where a graphical environment is inconvenient.

Using web from another machine presupposes that networking is running,
you can be in/out with ncurses(3) yast almost before you'ld have
logged in & got into YaST, in graphics mode.

Seconded - I regularly use the ncurses version via simple ssh, much
quicker even on modern hardware.

Cheers
Richard (MQ)