Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:00:08 +0000
Hi Clayton,

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 13:22 +0100, Clayton wrote:
That "weird" Gnome Yast SW management module has been around for a
couple of releases (since 10.3), and honestly it is probably the most
difficult to use and illogical software management tool I've used
across pretty much all Linux distros I've tried. There was a lot of
stuff on the WIki about it (when the design was proposed and being
worked on)... but I can't find it right now.

:-) So - Christian helped design it, with Ricardo - that effort
happened mostly in public, AFAIR - as you say in the Wiki. If you had
got involved then you could have changed it.

In theory, all you should have to do is remove the GTK YaST and
install the QT version to get a more usable software management tool
again.

So - just to put a stake in the ground; the Qt software management tool
employs an incredibly un-intuitive triple-(or more?) state field in a
tree-view to determine what to do with a package - simply keep clicking
to rotate around the umpteen states. That may be usable to people who
already know how it works ;-) but it is IMHO pretty shocking UI design.
yast2-gtk's package selector (for it's various faults) doesn't do that.

I wonder if whoever put all that effort and work into the GTK version
has ever done any work or research into usability and UI
architecture... it would fail if I passed it by any professional UI
architect I know. I raised this comment back when it was implemented
and was dutifully shot down.

Perhaps it was not the most constructive feedback :-)

However - it is easy to test; Garret / Jakub - any chance of a quick
take on the relative merits of the UIs of both the yast2 gtk+ and qt
package selectors - and how we can improve the former ?

Thanks,

Michael.

--
michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot