Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: "Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett" <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:48:56 +0100
On Thursday 19 November 2009 12:18:02 David C. Rankin wrote:
On my gnome install I have a really weird yast sw management module. My
guess is that it is just to gnome one, but I want to confirm. So do the
normal and gnome yast software management apps really have that
different of a UI? If so, can I make the gnome one back into the one I'm
used to?

Yes. Some years ago the Desktop team pushed for this user interface in
addition to the gtk native UI plugin.

I don't think the effort was worth it. Personally, I don't find the gnome
version of the software management module easier.

On the gtk backend side. While this effort was started before Qt 4.x, it could
had been solved by the nice Qt 4.x gtk integration plus the qgtk theme + some
improvements here and there in a much cheaper way.

This is how the Qt package selector looks in gtk with those pieces:
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2158/yast2pkgselectorqgtk1.png

A normal module that looks like this in gtk:
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/592/yast2ntpclientgtk.png

Would look like this:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3586/yast3timezoneqgtk.png

The additional effort would have been those fancy blue headers and the button
icons.

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - Engineering Manager, YaST