Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:22:04 +0100
       On my gnome install I have a really weird yast sw management module. My
guess is that it is just to gnome one, but I want to confirm. So do the
normal and gnome yast software management apps really have that
different of a UI? If so, can I make the gnome one back into the one I'm
used to?

That "weird" Gnome Yast SW management module has been around for a
couple of releases (since 10.3), and honestly it is probably the most
difficult to use and illogical software management tool I've used
across pretty much all Linux distros I've tried. There was a lot of
stuff on the WIki about it (when the design was proposed and being
worked on)... but I can't find it right now.

In theory, all you should have to do is remove the GTK YaST and
install the QT version to get a more usable software management tool
again.

I wonder if whoever put all that effort and work into the GTK version
has ever done any work or research into usability and UI
architecture... it would fail if I passed it by any professional UI
architect I know. I raised this comment back when it was implemented
and was dutifully shot down.

C.