Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-edu] Re: NFS
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 01:56:32 +0000
2009/11/13 Andrea Florio <andrea@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Now the opensuse clients are freezing. I was figuring that the issue
is because the clients are 32 bit and when the linux apps are locking
files in use they are doing so as 32 bit, but the files actually
reside on the 64 bit server. When the linux clients freeze I notice
that rpclock.d on the server is hogging resources, when I stop it and
restart NFS it starts working again.

Just on Friday I read on Novell website the "Golden Rule", if things
are working well don't change them! :)

This looks Apple Snow Leopard has an NFS issue, for some reason the
NFS locking daemon has always been requiring regular patching. Some
things don't seem to change much, Sun could never get NFS locking
daemon right, even in the old SunOS days with a simpler protocol.

Is there anything you can recommend I change on the client side maybe
NFS locking settings or something that will prevent me from needing to

It shouldn't be 32 bit v 64 bit, what goes over the wire is defined by
the RPC layer, and has to use defined byte order and size of fieldd,
it is independant of CPU or NFS would never have worked as well as it
did.

A quick Google shows Apple have 'enhanced' NFSv3 server claiming 2x
performance, most likely they need to patch it.
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/performance.html

One could experiment to confirm the clients file locking is torturing
the server, by using the 'nolock' mount option on the client.

If each client has a different login in use rather than sharing
directories, then most likely locks in /home/$USER are not really
uncessary.

It was most often directories like /var/spool/mail that would require
locking, to avoid incoming Email corrupting mail boxes that were being
processed by clients.

Rob

Disclaimer : I do not run Apple OSX, and base my answer on past
experience of running NFS servers commercially. Treat it as informed
speculation only.