Re: [opensuse-factory] What to do to remove outdated code from factory?
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:53:43 +0100
On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 10:40:50AM +0100, houghi wrote:
I will not be naming the program, because otherwise it will be called
'insane noise ratio' so this is just about the process and to undestrand
if I did everything right and if there is anything else I can do to help.

What happend is that there is a program that is on version 1.X and that is
(still) hosted on site A.
However the maintainer has moved on and now version 3.x is available on
site Y.

My idea is that it would be better to either remove the package from
openSUSE or better, see that correct version is added for all future
versions.

So what have I done?
1) I mailed who I thought was the maintainer at openSUSE. I was apparently
wrong
2) Filed a feature request
3) Filed a bugreport.
4) Made a package from it on OSB
5) Talked to developers directly and asked what to do
6) Tried to bring awareness in diffeent ways
7) Tried not to presure too much in the hope that it would get into 11.2

The result is that basically nothing has happend. The 1.x version is still
up there instead of the 3.x version.

So what must be done _in general_ to get stuff into factory so it will be
added in the next version and especially if it is about outdated things we
notice.

Did I do something wrong? Did I miss a step? Did I do too much?

Again, this is not about that specific program, that is just an example. I
just want to know if there are things I need to do different or that
perhaps my expectations should be much lower then what they are.

This is really mostly a case by case basis.

You did the right steps at least.

But without knowing details it is difficult to see where the issue is.
In the end it pretty much depends on the packager to refuse it.

So, can you tell us the package and the bugnumber?

Ciao, Marcus